The Burj Khalifa is one of the most iconic structures in the world and a marvel of modern design. Towering over 828 meters above the cityscape of Dubai, it’s become an international symbol of progress and growth. It was built to be this way – featuring state-of-the-art engineering, masterful architecture, and a host of unique features that make it stand out from all other skyscrapers.
But how much do we really know about the Burj Khalifa? Let’s take a look at 10 facts you may not have known about this incredible structure.
10 Interesting Facts About Burj Khalifa
1. The Burj Khalifa is the world’s tallest building and stands 828 meters (2,717 feet) tall – that’s over three times as tall as the Eiffel Tower! It is also the tallest structure in the world, beating the previous record held by the Canton Tower in China.
2. The Burj Khalifa was designed by American architect Adrian Smith and built by South Korean multinational conglomerate Samsung C&T Corporation. It took over six years to construct and was completed in 2010.
3. There are 57 elevators in the building, with a combined travel distance of over 35 kilometers (22 miles) each day. The elevators can reach speeds of up to 10 meters per second (32 feet per second), making them the world’s fastest.
4. The Burj Khalifa has 163 floors and is made from reinforced concrete and steel reinforcing bars. It also features a sophisticated structural system to support its weight, including a series of tuned mass dampers that absorb wind energy to reduce sway.
5. The building is home to the world’s highest swimming pool, located on the 76th floor at an altitude of 442 meters (1,450 feet).
6. There are two observation decks located on the 124th and 148th floors, providing visitors with stunning views of Dubai and beyond.
7. The Burj Khalifa is home to nine world-class hotels, including the Armani Hotel and the first-ever Atmosphere restaurant – located on the 122nd floor at an altitude of 452 meters (1,484 feet).
8. The building uses over 39,000 square meters (420,000 square feet) of glass panels to form its exterior walls and windows. It is estimated that these panels can save up to 15 percent in energy use compared to traditional wall systems.
9. The Burj Khalifa is home to over 1,000 businesses and organizations, including corporate offices, retail outlets, entertainment venues and residential apartments.
10. It has been featured in numerous movies and TV shows, including Independence Day: Resurgence (2016) and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol (2011). It was also the backdrop for several concerts by international artists such as Rihanna, Elton John and Justin Timberlake.
These facts give us an insight into the incredible feat of engineering that is the Burj Khalifa. With its unique design, world-class amenities and breathtaking views, it’s no wonder why this iconic structure has become a symbol of progress and prosperity around the world.
If you would like to experience the Burj Khalifa for yourself, there are a range of ticket options available that will give you access to its observation decks and other areas. So why not take a trip and explore this amazing structure up close? You won’t be disappointed!